Educational Leadership and Management and Policy (ELMP)
ELMP strives to achieve academic excellence by continuously providing skills needed to deal with leadership, management and policy responsibilities. At the same time students are developed to become critical, reflective and reflexive thinkers. Students are given opportunity to explore a range of topics in order to develop and refurbish their skills as aspirant and seasoned leaders and managers.
Delivery of modules
Modules are delivered through a combination of interactive lectures and seminars. Assessment is based assignments and student presentations. The Master of Education (MED) and Bachelor of Education honours (BED(HONS) are offered part-time and full time at Edgewood and Pietermaritzburg campuses.
In BED(Hons) the modules on offer are:
- Introduction to Education Leadership and Management
- Introduction to Education Policy, Planning and Development
- Managing Change in Education
- Managing People in Education
- Gender and Education Management (optional and offered only at Edgewood)
- Understanding Research (school module)
- Independent Research
In Master of Education the modules on offer are:
- Theoretical and Methodological Approaches to Educational Leadership and Management
- Leading Professionals in Learning Communities
- Discourses in Educational Research
- Research Proposal Development
ELMP Teaching staff
In terms of staff, a dynamic and vibrant team of academics with a wealth of expertise and experience teach on the ELMP programmes. They represent a cross section of race, gender, qualifications and practical experience. All staff already hold PhDs or are working towards completion of their PhD’s. Our staff maintain their knowledge of the field by attending and presenting papers at national and international conferences, networking with leading scholars and publishing in the field of education leadership, management and policy.
Targeted student composition ranges from teachers, education officials, School and District managers, school principals and the would-be leaders and managers.
By the end of the qualification, students will be able to:
- demonstrate a critical understanding of the concepts
- infuse leadership, management and policies theories to throughout their day to day lives